Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Letter to my parents

You are the lights of my life. All four of you.

Dad: strong and proud, realistic, but still a dreamer.
Kelly: creative, passionate, encouraging and oh so loving.
Mom: fun, friendly, always the life of the party, and your compassion for people blows me away.
Buddy: so carefree, gentle, and you genuinely care for others.

When I was young, I thought having divorced parents was some sort of death sentence. Kids in school were always so depressed and this made me sad. I got lucky, I got two amazing new additions to my family. My life wouldn't be the same without you.

I wanted to see the world, to spread my wings and fly, to experience new things and you encouraged me, all of you. It might have taken you a little while to warm up to the idea of me dropping out of college to spend nine months of my life, serving at a church, with no income. But you had faith in me, and I succeeded. You might not have agreed when I decided to move two states away to southern California to be a part of a church plant (with a man, 26 and I barely 20). But I told you this was the man I loved, and you believed me, and now we're married, happily for two years. In addition to that, I have the greatest job anyone could ask for, because you let me fly.

There were rocky spots in our relationships, but the Lord knew what He was doing when He made you, and He knew what He was doing when He made me. He had a special plan for us. I'm so thankful for each and every one of you, for everything you've taught me and are still going to teach me. I wouldn't be who I am today if it weren't for who you are.


Thank you for inspiring me, and thank you for teaching me how to love.

1 comment: